Monday, January 23, 2012

I was recently asked this question....

"Do you know of any natural therapies I can take to help me sleep?"

You're smiling I know. 

I replied - "Um....remain caffeine free, don't eat late, get your OSAS treated"

Ok no I didn't...

I mumbled something about not knowing much about "natural therapies".

I should have said this:

"I don't know much about "natural" therapies. I prefer to take medicines that are carefully regulated, and that have effects and side-effects that are diligently quantified."

So there. But that would have been unnecessarily unpleasant, don't you think?

What I would like people to know is this:

Many people say they take "alternative medicines" because they are "natural", which on it's own is thought to be good (another topic for later), but also because this is perceived to make them safer (ie less or no side effects or toxic effects). In general however, there are very few effective drugs that have absolutely no side effects, "natural" or otherwise. A more realistic interpretation is that medicines that have no side effects have little or no actual effect, beyond placebo. 

Any "medicine" that you put into your body has to interact with your body (via receptors) to have an effect. If it can do this (produce a desired effect, pharmacologically) it can also cause side effects, and if you take enough of it, toxic effects. Herbs and spices are not magically different in this respect. 

There are also ideological reasons people like "natural therapies" such as a general suspicion of Big Pharma and Rich Doctors. Strangely the same people are not at all worried about the motives of Big Woo (large companies that fleece their customers into buying mostly worthless "alternative" rubbish). 

Anyway, you could always try sticking a lighted candle in your ear! Sounds sensible to me.
(you can probably pick one up from your local Pharmacy)

No comments:

Post a Comment